Marinate the steak: Whisk to combine the olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, black pepper, and cumin in a large, non-reactive bowl or baking dish. Stir in the minced garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro.
Place the steak in a gallon size bag and then pour marinade over the steak. Give the bag a few shakes and message in the marinade for a moment. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours (if using flank steak marinate at least 3 hours).
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 limes, juiced (about 2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed (if have whole, toast and then grind)
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped (great flavor in the stems!), about ½ cup