As all Pixel owners should know by now there is a end of support scheduled for each phone they ship. I like many others have a perfectly functional Pixel device which will soon be vulnerable to security issues and without Google support I am left with little options. I am not one to need the latest and greatest so I have chosen to install LineageOS.
The greatest problem with Verizon is that they prevent you from toggling the “OEM unlocking” which would allow you to wipe the device then sideload a new OS. To get around this follow these steps and you will be golden.
Thank you to @iamhellex, source.
- Remove Google account and any kind of screen lock from your device.
- Eject the Verizon sim card from your device. (You can use a slim paper clip)
- Reset your device. During setup skip everything. Don’t connect to WiFi or setup any sort of security locking.
- Go to “Developer Options” and enable USB debugging.
- Connect your phone to your Computer which has
- Open a terminal in the
adbdirectory and type:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
- Restart your device.
- Connect to WiFi, open a web browser, and go to any website.
- Go to “Developer Options” and enable OEM unlocking.
- Reboot into bootloader via:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flashing unlock
- Congrats, you are unlocked and can continue installing another OS.
Since you've made it this far, sharing this article on your favorite social media network would be highly appreciated 💖!
For feedback, please ping me on Mastodon @[email protected] .